Module building oddities with <module>-objs under Kernel 2.6.8.1

From: Andre Bonin
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 00:15:32 EST

Hey all,
I have a simple module in datasim.c and several service functions in another file status.c

The module compiles fine (no warnings) with the following Makefile, but the printk function doesn't seem to output anything. The output doesn't show with dmesg, tail -f /var/message and everything else I tried.

The same code works fine if copy-pasted inside the datasim.c module (and not compiled using datasim-objs: in the makefile). It also works fine if i do the ugly thing of (*shudder*) #include "status.c"

/usr/bin/nm datasim.ko yields "U printk".

I know the entry points get called properly because the module is loaded, and functions after the printk's that set up sysfs attributes are successfull (and appear under sysfs).

I find it odd that if i compile with the datasim-objs stuff that i can't view the printk, but if i comment it out and do #include "datasim.c" it works fine.

Thanks

Here is the Makefile.
KDIR := /usr/src/linux
PWD := $(shell pwd)