Re: DMA timeout error

From: Adam Sherman
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 12:32:20 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
I have a VIA M6000 board with an ATA CompactFlash adaptor containing a
512MB SanDisk card.

I get the following error during boot:

hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
hdb: DMA timeout error
hdb: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

If this is a new CF capable of DMA but CF-to-IDE adapter doesn't support
DMA (most don't) then "ide=nodma" kernel command line parameter should
do the job. It might be also bug in via82cxxx host driver.

Maybe DMA should be off by default for CF but it requires fixing almost
every IDE host driver and why punish good hardware.

This makes quite a bit of sense seeing as it's a SanDisk "Ultra II" card.

beber@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
add pci=noapic to your boot option

Since the hardware is not reachable from here, I can not test it until Monday. I'll note my results though.

Thanks,

A.