Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone (me too???)

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 17:40:18 EST

Gustavo Guillermo Perez <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ¿I'm wrong, to hide for a while some sources????????

The GPL requires that source be available to anyone who receives a copy
of the binaries. There are three ways to do this, only two of which
apply to commercial distribution. You can either:

a) Provide the source alongside the binaries, or
b) Provide a written offer (a text file on a CD is fine) for the source

You never need to provide the source to anyone you don't provide the
binaries to - however, anyone who you do give the source to is free to
give it to other people, if they want to. So yes, you can "hide" the
source, but people you give binaries to must be able to get it.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.linux-rutgers.kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx