Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone (metoo???)

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 18:27:13 EST

On Sul, 2004-10-03 at 14:48, Gustavo Guillermo Perez wrote:
> Then I think I'm not evil, I'm wondering to ear that one DVD Player supports
> DIVX thanks to Linux/MPlayer or a Phone or a Government is using Linux on
> their offices, or... but I hate to profit without say just Tanks Guys.

You need to make the GPL components available to customers, and anything
derived from it. Thats all. That means if you've written additional
programs that make your system work (even shell scripts!) then you could
in theory choose to keep those proprietary until you see 100 copies.
Lots of people ship both free software and proprietary software to make
a product. Richard Stallman always asks people to keep the two clearly
seperated so that someone can easily figure out which bit is which

Also your duties end with giving your customers the GPL source, they
don't extend to helping with it, supporting it or third parties.

Alan