Re: NFS incompatible with Solaris jumpstart

From: Hadmut Danisch
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 03:17:34 EST

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:10:46AM +0100, P. Benie wrote:
> Re your jumpstart problem - a colleague in another department had trouble
> with this once. I don't think he had the time to fix the problem.
>
> He did get as far as finding that the client got an error from the NFS
> server when accessing /dev/console. This would give the impression of
> hanging as soon as the kernel starts init. It should be easy to verify if
> you have the same problem using tcpdump.

/dev/ was a good hint. I found the problem:

When booting the Solaris system wants to write to the
Boot environment (nasty, isn't it?).

Since the userspace daemon doesn't understand the /etc/exports syntax
of the kernel version, I wrote a different, simplified /etc/exports
for the userspace daemon.

The userspace daemon allowed write access, the kernel version didn't.
That was the problem.

regards
Hadmut