Re: libata badness

From: William Knop
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 10:57:17 EST

What kind of sata drives? It's not quite the same end result, but there
have been several posts on linux-raid about defective Maxtor sata drives
causing system freezes. If your drives are Maxtor, download their
powermax utility and test your drives. You may find that you have one or
more marginal drives that appear to work most of the time, but powermax
will determine are bad. Replacing one like that fixed my problems.

Ah, well all of them are Maxtor drives... One 6y250m0 and three 7y250m0 drives. I'm using powermax on them right now. They all passed the quick test, and the full test results are forthcoming.

Actually, I was backing up the array (cp from the array - 2 of 3 drives running - to a normal drive) when I read your response. Shortly thereafter, during the cp (perhaps after copying 100GB-120GB), I got a double fault. I've never gotten a double fault before, but I'm guessing it's quite a serious error. It totally locked up the machine, and it outputted two lines each with a double fault message, followed by a register dump.

The saga continues...

Will