Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 13:04:42 EST

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Who cares about GPL violations in Linux . What can anyone do about it anyway. The FSF isn't going to sue anyone unless someone give them the money to do it. Most of this
banter and name calling people do about it is a waste of time. What punishment will anyone get for it. A few people writing mean emails and finder pointing -- Yeah -- this will really stop someone from doing it. If you give your code away GPL, or not
you have just done just that. Tigrian is correct in his statements.

Even if you review it and make a fuss it does nothing to stop people. The GPL is flawed since it does not require people to go back to the copyright holders and demand a license
for commerical use. This is the only way you will ever stop these people. So instead
of being whinny babies about it, fix the GPL and add this language. Then anyone who uses the code in a commerical enterprise will be required to get a license, and you can actually do something about it.

Oops. Too late. Linux has a huge trail of everyone's code under the GPL so you cannot
re-release the code under another license unless the entire code base is re-written. So anyone can fork it at any point and claim, "we never accepted the license even though we download and use the code. Guess what, this is legally valid to say and totally circumvents the GPL, they just have to leave your copyright notices in place.

This subject line seems to have attracted a bunch of odd legal misinformation, which as noted has been refuted by the courts. However, I do note that Microsoft is using the work Linux in their ads, and not putting on the trademark symbol. It is probably good for someone to look at that, because a trademark can be lost if it is not defended (think Kleenex or Asprin). The ads just have a note in tiny print saying something 'some of these words may be trademarks of their owners.' I believe if the owner notifies them they have to add the MT or (R) symbol and state the name of the holder.

Clearly I'm not a lawyer, but since there was a TV show about "lost trademarks" I'm pretty damn sure it can happen.

The GPL is alive and well at the moment, I hope the trademark is as well.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)