Re: bug in sched.c:task_hot()

From: Peter Williams
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 17:11:13 EST

Chen, Kenneth W wrote:

Current implementation of task_hot() has a performance bug in it
that it will cause integer underflow.

Variable "now" (typically passed in as rq->timestamp_last_tick)
and p->timestamp are all defined as unsigned long long. However,
If former is smaller than the latter, integer under flow occurs
which make the result of subtraction a huge positive number. Then
it is compared to sd->cache_hot_time and it will wrongly identify
a cache hot task as cache cold.

This bug causes large amount of incorrect process migration across
cpus (at stunning 10,000 per second) and we lost cache affinity very
quickly and almost took double digit performance regression on a db
transaction processing workload. Patch to fix the bug. Diff'ed against
2.6.9-rc3.

Peter Williams wrote on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:33 AM

The interesting question is: How does now get to be less than timestamp?
This probably means that timestamp_last_tick is not a good way of
getting a value for "now". By the way, neither is sched_clock() when
measuring small time differences as it is not monotonic (something that
I had to allow for in my scheduling code). I applied no such safeguards
to the timing used by the load balancing code as I assumed that it
already worked.

The reason now gets smaller than timestamp was because of random thing
that activate_task() do to p->timestamp. Here are the sequence of events:

On timer tick, scheduler_tick() updates rq->timestamp_last_tick,
1 us later, process A wakes up, entering into run queue. activate_task()
updates p->timestamp. At this time p->timestamp is larger than rq->
timestamp_last_tick. Then another cpu goes into idle, tries load balancing,
It wrongly finds process A not cache hot (because of integer underflow),
moved it. Then application runs on a cache cold CPU and suffer performance.

Having thought about this over night I've come to the conclusion that (because it is set using sched_clock()) timestamp is always bigger than timestamp_last_tick for a short period of time (i.e. until the next time scheduler_tick()). This doesn't effect the load balancing code that is triggered by scheduler_tick() (for obvious reasons) but all other load balancing code is susceptible to the problem. The setting of timestamp in activate() just exacerbates the problem and the fact that Ingo's VP work is reducing the amount of time that it takes tasks to get from wake up to a point where load balancing is triggered (or they're involved in load balancing decisions) other than by scheduler_tick() means that it matters more than it used to.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce