RE: /dev/misc/inotify 0.11 [adr]

From: Robert Love
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 18:21:24 EST

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:10 -0700, David Busby wrote:

> Here's another issue, when reading from PERL sometimes the filename part
> of the struct inotify_event is wayyyy off. I'm reading 268 bytes at a
> time, first 12 are the wd,mask and cookie (what is cookie anyways?) then
> 256 for the file name. Isn't that correct? I'll try to get the
> inotify_test.c program to reproduce.

The cookie is going to be used to connection two related events, such as
MOVED_TO and MOVED_FROM. Right now it is unused.

We've never seen this problem in inotify_test or Gamin or Beagle ... so
I would suspect this is related to your specific Perl example, but
please let me know if you find anything.

Best,

Robert Love