Re: Invisible threads in 2.6.9

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 22:10:46 EST

Patryk Jakubowski wrote:

When I run it, the system (predictably) goes to ~100% CPU utilization,
but there seems to be no way to find out who is hogging the CPU with
top(1), ps(1), or anything else. All they can show is the main thread in
zombie state, consuming 0% CPU.

Is this correct behaviour of linux?
Would not this allow user space programs to hide running executions?
This could be an opportunity for spyware to infect the machine and hide
itself perhaps? Hope I'm wrong here!

If this is the bug in kernel (procfs?) I can give you my configuration
and resulting behaviour.

Yes, that's the new method trojans are using to hide tasks... No need to install complicated kernel modules anymore :-)

More seriously: That's a problem with current procps utils... They just don't show them. I can't complain too much because I'm not doing any code, but it would be nice to have a working top...

As a workaround, to at least see the threads without inspecting /proc directly, you can use the 'm' and 'H' flags to ps, i.e.

$ ps auwxH

Regards,
Nuno Silva