Re: Preempt? (was Re: Cannot enable DMA on SATA drive (SCSI-libsata,VIA SATA))

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 23:12:16 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 11:27:06PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

You're ignoring the argument :)

If users and developers are presented with the _impression_ that long latency code paths don't exist, then nobody is motivated to profile them (with any tool), much less fix them.

well, you are assuming those latencies are visible with eyes. they might
be in extreme cases, but normally they're not (what people notices
normally are disk latencies, and few people uses an RT userspace
anyways which means they cannot claim the problem to be a lack of
cond_resched, but more likely they want shorter timeslices in the
scheduler etc..). So my point is that you need a measurement tool anyways...

I do agree with that.

I don't think that implies preempt is useful for anything except hiding stuff that should be fixed anyway, though...

Preempt will always be something I ask people to turn off when reporting driver bugs; it just adds too much complicated mess for zero gain.

Jeff