Re: Solaris developer wants a Linux Mentor for drivers.

From: Alan Kilian
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 13:26:40 EST

Forwarded message:
> From: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Why not 2.6? No new Linux distros are shipping 2.4 kernels anymore...

Well, I down loaded and installed RedHat-9 5 weeks ago, and it
is a 2.4 kernel, so I thought that would be fine.
(See what a novice I am?)

> And a PCI bus driver?
> What kind of hardware is this?
> Is this a driver for a pci card, or a pci bus controller?

This is a driver for talking to my hardware which is a PCI bus card.

This card has 5 large FPGAs, SRAM and dram on it which is used to
accelerate bioinformatics search algorithms.

The card works under Sun Solaris and Windows/2000, and of course,
we would like to add Linux to the list.

Eventually, I'll need to support DMA to and from the card, but
I can get by for a while just doing single-dword I/O.

I just hacked in dev->bus->ops->read_dword(dev,1,&retval);
and I can read memory on the card! (Well, things don't crash anyway)

If this is absolutely the wrong way to do this, please let me know!

Note: I have no idea what the second parameter to read_dword() is!

-Alan

--
- Alan Kilian <kilian(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622