Re: Default cache_hot_time value back to 10ms

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 14:50:40 EST

"Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 9:51 PM
> > > Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'd say it is probably too low level to be a useful tunable (although
> > > for testing I guess so... but then you could have *lots* of parameters
> > > tunable).
> >
> > This tunable caused an 11% performance difference in (I assume) TPCx.
> > That's a big deal, and people will want to diddle it.
> >
> > If one number works optimally for all machines and workloads then fine.
> >
> > But yes, avoiding a tunable would be nice, but we need a tunable to work
> > out whether we can avoid making it tunable ;)
> >
> > Not that I'm soliciting patches or anything. I'll duck this one for now.
>
> Andrew, can I safely interpret this response as you are OK with having
> cache_hot_time set to 10 ms for now?

I have a lot of scheduler changes queued up and I view this change as being
not very high priority. If someone sends a patch to update -mm then we can
run with that, however Ingo's auto-tuning seems a far preferable approach.

> And you will merge this change for 2.6.9?

I was not planning on doing so, but could be persuaded, I guess.

It's very, very late for this and subtle CPU scheduler regressions tend to
take a long time (weeks or months) to be identified.