Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 15:03:09 EST

Hua Zhong wrote:

How hard is it to treat the next read to the fd as NON_BLOCKING, even if
it's not set?

Userspace likely would not properly handle EAGAIN on a nonblocking socket.

As far as I can tell, either you block, or you have to scan the checksum before select() returns.

Would it be so bad to do the checksum before marking the socket readable? Chances are we're going to receive the message "soon" anyways, so there is at least a chance it will stay hot in the cache, no?

Chris