common code between i386 and x86_64 (was Re: [Patch] share i386/x86_64 intel cache descriptors table)

From: Suresh Siddha
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 02:31:03 EST

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:25:14PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I have often wondered if there is any value to creating arch/x86 and
> include/asm-x86 for stuff shared between x86-64 and i386.

Yes. There is definitely some value. Currently this kind of code is scattered
all around the place. With this demarcation, people touching this common
code will be careful of not breaking arch's that are sharing this code.

We can avoid duplicate data structure definitions and duplicate prototypes.

thanks,
suresh