Re: 2.6.9-rc3-mm3 fails to detect aic7xxx

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 16:23:56 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
"K.R. Foley" <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Hansen wrote:

I just booted 2.6.9-rc3-mm3 and got the good ol'

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

backing out bk-scsi.patch seems to fix it. I believe this worked in
2.6.9-rc3-mm2.

-- Dave

While I can't verify that backing out bk-scsi.patch fixes it for me yet, I can verify that I get the exact same error trying to boot this kernel. I too am using the aic7xxx.

Were some earlier messages printed out, during the scsi bringup stage?

A full dmesg dump would be nice.

Yes it would. Unfortunately I am not near the machine right now. I do know that there is not much info being displayed prior to the failure message listed above and I don't have a serial console on this system currently. I will be glad to try to dig into it further when I get home in a few hours.

kr