RE: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Hua Zhong
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 18:27:41 EST

> I can't believe this thread has lasted this long.

The reason is that you haven't just admitted very clearly that
"Linux select isn't Posix compliant and it was a design decision
not to do so for performance reasons". I think this kind of
authorative answer would shut up many people. :-)

> I think people had cotton in their ears when I mentioned
> that every single 2.4.x and 2.6.x existing system out there
> has this behavior, therefore even if we changed the behavior
> some way today people still need to handle this to work on
> all existing Linux systems.

Unfortunately this isn't the best argument..

I think most people just hope Linux would follow the standard.
The old Linux threads weren't posix-compliant either for years,
and people still fixed (most of?) it in 2.6. By your argument
that would not have happened.

Hua