Re: Kernel 2.6.8 and DELL's DOTHAN Processor B0

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 01:36:14 EST

michel.mengis@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I have a lot of trouble to bring the kernel 2.6.8-1 to detect my dothan
processor.
It's a Pentium M Dothan B0 version, 1.7Ghz/600Mhz.
The BIOS is DELL's D800 Bios version 09.

I added 3 patches:
cpufreq-speedstep-dothan-3.patch :add correct frequency table in speedstep.c
dothan-speedstep-fix.patch : add correct Level2 cache
bk-cpufreq.patch : from http://linux-dj.bkbits.net/cpufreq

I added a lot of output in speedstep-centrino.c, acpi/processor.c to track the
problem.

I notice that my computer is running always in the lowest speed evenif I'm
stressing it... All ouputs I added show me that Speedstep isn't the cause,
neither CPUFreq but while CPUFreq calls all notifiers, acpi/processor.c's
CPUFREQ_INCOMPATIBLE change the max speed to the lowest evenif during
cpufreq_acpi_cpu_init the max speed is well detected.
Seems to be like it's coz at boot time the kernel doesn't detect correctly the
max speed.
dmesg shows me that a 600Mhz processor has been detected only and not 1.7Ghz.
(on my D600 pentium M not dothan, it detects correctly 1.6Ghz)

is there a fix for that ?
is it a known bug ?

thx for all help I can get,

Sounds like you've chosen powersave as the default power governor in your config. Change it to performance or modify it manually in
/sys/devices.... cpufreq/scaling_governor
(cant remember the exact position; you'll find it)

cat the output of that file and see if it says powersave performance or ondemand. You can manually change it from one to the other, or set either powersave or performance in your config during kernel config.

Cheers,
Con