Re: [openib-general] InfiniBand incompatible with the Linux kernel?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 18:16:52 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

[2] Sure, any person who has a copy of the kernel source tree could be a
target for any of a zillion other potential claims, nothing new there,
but the point here is they are explicitly stating that they will go
after non-IBTA members who touch IB code[3].

Greg I see nothing to back up the idea that IBTA intends to go after
non-members. I simply see a disclaimer of warranty, and I see wording
by your anonymous source that restates a disclaimer of warranty.

Well, let's not rely on anonymous sources and go straight to the web site, shall we?

Ordering copies of the spec, for non-members:
http://www.infinibandta.org/specs/How_to_Order_IBTA_Specifications.pdf

Key note: use of spec is only granted for NON-COMMERCIAL use

Now, let's look at the membership agreement for IBTA:
http://www.infinibandta.org/meminfo/mem-agreement.pdf

Key note: The point is made repeatedly that there are no patent grants simply by being a member.