Re: [Announce] "iswraid" (ICH5R/ICH6R ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.28-pre3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 18:57:33 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:03:00 -0700 (PDT), Martins Krikis
<mkrikis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I may sound like an ignorant but...

Why can't device mapper be merged into 2.4 instead?

"Instead" is the key word here... That would mean that
Boji's and my work has been largely in vain and that the
driver that to my best knowledge currently provides the
simplest (from a user's point of view) cooperation with
Intel RAID OROM and the most comlete feature-set regarding
Intel RAID metadata interpretation and updates would not
make it to the kernel. I have nothing against device mapper
being merged into 2.4 but I don't consider that a fair
reason for not considering iswraid.

Well, in some way this speaks against merging iswraid in 2.4.
If it provides "the most comlete feature-set regarding Intel RAID
metadata interpretation and updates" then merging it would
create regression when compared to 2.6, wouldn't it?

When the other RAIDs are ataraid in 2.4 and DM in 2.6, doing iswraid DM in 2.4 violates the Principle of Least Surprise ;-)

Jeff