Re: [ACPI] Re: [BKPATCH] LAPIC fix for 2.6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 21:46:16 EST

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> How about only disabling the APIC if power-management is in use?

No. You cannot test for SMM. Full stop. That's the whole _point_ of SMM.
It's hidden away.

Why do you care? If you have a machine with this problem, just use the
"lapic" command line. We do NOT default to unsafe values.

> I don't like the idea of "punishing" good hardware, because something
> behaves ill out there.

We don't punish good hardware.

We punish _bad_ hardware. The kind of hardware that has a BIOS that has
disabled the local APIC.

Try to get your BIOS updated if you want to consider your hardware "good".
And if the hw vendor doesn't have a fixed BIOS, then don't call it good,
and use "lapic".

Linus