CDROM support in ata_piix?

From: Doug McNaught
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 13:06:14 EST

I have an IBM server with a SATA controller listed as:

0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller (rev 02)

Debian's 2.6.8 kernel with libata works fine, except that the CDROM
(which is on a PATA port) does not appear as a SCSI device. It's also
not seen by the regular IDE driver, because ata_piix has already
grabbed the i/o resources--I get:

ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe

Is there any way to get ata_piix to register my CDROM, or
alternatively to have the regular IDE driver handle it?

This seems to be a known problem (it's filed as a Debian bug)--is it
fixed in 2.6.9-rc4? I had a look at the -rc4 patch but couldn't tell
from the diff whether there's anything CDROM-related in there...

Thanks,
Doug