Re: Totally broken PCI PM calls

From: David Brownell
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 16:40:15 EST

Hi Nigel,

On Monday 11 October 2004 2:17 pm, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 02:36, David Brownell wrote:
> > I've made that point too. STD is logically a few steps: quiesce system,
> > write image to swap, change power state.

I'm hoping you agree with that abbreviated summary of
what's involved! Pavel seemed to. Of course the devil is
in the details, which I hope to leave mostly to others ... ;)

> > The ACPI spec talks about
> > that as keeping the system in a G1/S4 powered state, but "swusp"
> > doesn't use that ... it does a full power-off. And of course,
> > full power-off
> > means that the BIOS probably mucks with the USB hardware, so it's
> > not a real resume any more.
>
> That's not necessarily true. Swsusp and suspend2 both include support
> for enter ACPI S4 state. For suspend2 it's optional (to allow for broken
> bioses). Not sure about whether it is with swsusp.

The machines I've tested with relatively generic 2.6.9-rc kernels
don't use BIOS support for S4 when I call swsusp.

Of course the ACPI spec muddies the water by talking about two
different states called "S4": "S4 Sleeping", which is what I was
talking about as G1/S4; and "S4 Non-Volatile Sleep" that's more
what I've seen with swusp: more like a G2 or G3 poweroff.

I'm willing to believe that there are systems on which swsusp
tells drivers a less confusing story ... but I don't seem to have
tested with those!

- Dave