Re: 2.6.9-rc4-mm1

From: Zwane Mwaikambo
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 09:32:53 EST

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > allow-x86_64-to-reenable-interrupts-on-contention.patch
> > Allow x86_64 to reenable interrupts on contention
>
> IIRC Andi made skeptical noises about this one.

Yes he did (although he did say it would be ok if spinlocks were made
out of line to make up for the text size increase in the spinlock
assembly) and Ingo said his preempt_enable on contention spinlock changes
should have the same effect, however how about the case where we hold a
lock above the contended one (so preempt is disabled) and interrupts enabled?
At least with this we still process interrupts, plus it can coexist with
the preempt friendly spinlock changes. Ingo?