Re: [BUG] oom killer not triggering in 2.6.9-rc3

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 10:38:45 EST

Andries Brouwer wrote:

The default allows a job to take ten times what is available,
and bad things happen later.
With overcommit mode 2 there is an upper bound, but you can
twiddle the bound as desired. From proc(5):

Okay, that may be a possibility. I'll look into that.

However, isn't it a bad thing that a vanilla 2.6.9-rc3 can be totally locked up by an unpriviledged user by running two tasks?

It seems to me that the OOM-killer not waking up is a bug. I should not be able to lock up the system by running it out of memory--it should wake up and start killing things rather than hang the system.

Chris