Re: NUMA: Patch for node based swapping

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 06:02:07 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Christoph Lameter wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Since this is meant as a stop gap patch, waiting for a real
solution, and is only relevant for big (and rare) systems,
it would be an idea to at least leave it off by default.

I think it would be safe to assume that a $100k system has
a system administrator looking after it, while a $5k AMD64
whitebox might not have somebody watching its performance.

Ok. Will do that then. Should I submit the patch to Andrew?

I can't see the harm in sending it after 2.6.9 if it defaults
to off (maybe also make it CONFIG_NUMA).

OTOH, if it is going to be painful to remove later on, then
maybe leave it local to your tree.

It's true that I have something a bit more sophisticated in
the pipe, but it is going to be an uphill battle to get it
and everything it depends on merged - so don't count on it for
2.6.10 :P