Re: waiting on a condition

From: Martijn Sipkema
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 14:07:19 EST

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 17:30, Peter W. Morreale wrote:
> Have you looked at the wait_event() family yet? Adapting that
> methodolgy might
> suit your needs.

wait_event() seems to be what I was looking for; I don't really like the
condition being an argument.

> I don't know much about preemption yet, however I suspect it would be a
> bug to allow
> preemption while the spinlock was held. In other words, you might need
> to do something like
>
> disable preemption
> spinlock
> rc = condition
> spin_unlock
> enable preemption
> if (rc)
>
> In other words, perform the test on the condition outside of the
> critical region protected by the spin lock.

Well, that wasn't what I meant exactly. I was looking for a standard
way to wait on a condition so that it would still work when spinlocks
are converted to mutexes such as these new RT patches seem to do;
wait_event() seens to provide this, although I like to POSIX mutex/cond
semantics better.

--ms

P.S. I seem to have been removed from the LKML right after posting
my question (it was the last message I received). Is there something
terribly stupid I may have done? Was the question _that_ stupid?