Announcing Binary Compatibility/Testing

From: Timothy D. Witham
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 17:20:06 EST

Announcing Binary Compatibility/Testing

In talking to end users, distributions, OSS developers and
large scale ISV's one issue kept popping up. And that is
the fact that binaries keep breaking.

This is a real problem for large end users deploying Linux
in that they like to be able to run/roll forward the same version
of an application for 5 or so years. They can do this with their
legacy operating systems and we need to be able to do this
with Linux.

One of the big problems is that these ISV's release and test
on a cycle that is measured in calendar quarters and of course
the OSS cycle is measured in days. The idea is to move
testing of these binary applications upstream to match
the OSS development cycle. For this purpose I've started
a mailing list to discuss how to accomplish this. I've
got slides for anybody who is interested. (PDF.)

http://groups.osdl.org/sig (Follow binary testing for slides)

Let the flaming start. :-)

Tim

--
Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie@xxxxxxxx
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation