Re: Linux-2.6.8 Hates DOS partitions

From: TimO
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 18:49:49 EST

Andries Brouwer wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:31:34PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

Only the DOS partitions and the swap are used in this new configuration.
This is a new "Fedora Linux 2" installation on a completely
different IDE hard disk, in which I have to enable boot disks in
the BIOS to boot the new system.

Immediately after installing the new system I reverted (in the BIOS)
to the original to make sure that I was still able to boot the old
system and the DOS partition. Everything was fine.

Then I installed linux-2.6.8 after building a new kernel with
the old ".config" file used as `make oldconfig`. Everything was
fine after that, also.

I have now run for about a week and I can't boot the DOS partition
anymore!

I can copy everything from C: and D: from within Linux
and then re-do the DOS partitions, BUT.... bad stuff
will happen again unless the cause is found.

Well, if you do and the same thing happens, we know that there is something
reproducible here. That is always good to know. It might be that you did
something a week ago and forgot all about it and now have a strange bug.

If this is reproducible, then there are lots of possible explanations.

Have you considered the numbering of the disks? You changed things in
the BIOS. Did the Linux SCSI disk numbering remain the same?

Andries

Having experienced a similar but not exact situation; I'm going to
suggest that your BIOS is to blame. (AMI?) If you hadn't already
done a MBR restore; I would have suggested for you to remove the ATA
disk to see if you could once again boot to DOS. You might remove
it anyway to see if a boot from DOS floppy will again allow you to
'see' the DOS D:\ partition.
My situation actually arose from a motherboard swap; AOpen/Award/K7
--> GByte/AMI/AthlonXP. Linux booted fine and ran for 2 weeks with-
out problem. I could even see/read all the DOS/VFAT partitions just
fine. It wasn't until I went to boot Win98 that I noticed the prob-
lem(Invalid system disk). Booting from a floppy showed a "Drive not
ready" for C:(hda2); D:(hdc1) looked fine but became corrupt as soon
as I wrote to it, and E:(hdc2) didn't even show. I made sure to
transfer the IDE settings exactly but no amount of war would allow
both systems to boot from the same hard drive(ATA)on the GByte/AMI
board and I eventually managed to trash the Linux / as well. Another
motherboard with an Award/Pheonix Bios, a little restoration and all
is once again right with the(my) world.

oh, YMMV :)