Re: single linked list header in kernel?

From: Tonnerre
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 19:21:09 EST

Salut,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:25:43PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> I dunno, though -- open-coding a singly-linked list isn't that much of a
> problem; compared to a doubly-linked one, there's simply fewer things that
> can go horribly wrong. :-/

The problem is that

1. you have to use circular lists

2. going forward is O(1), going backward is O(N). This doesn't sound
like a problem, but deleting from lists and alike requires you to

I guess that if you have lists that you edit a lot, double linked
lists should be less overhead. However, if you only walk the lists a
lot, both models should perform equally well.

Insertion is faster, but that's the only good news..

I'm all against them, though. ;)

Tonnerre