Re: question about MTRR areas on x86_64

From: Markus Lidel
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 09:01:49 EST

Hello,

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> writes:
Markus Lidel <Markus.Lidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Could it be because the machine has too much memory, or is there a bug in the
I2O driver?

The problem comes from the BIOS who set up reg00 to be overlapping
over other areas. The Linux MTRR driver cannot deal with overlapping
MTRRs, in fact it is sometimes impossible because it could run
out of registers or violate some of the MTRR restrictions.

Sorry, for not answering, but somehow i never received your e-mail. :-(

And the BIOS is using overlapping MTRRs because otherwise it would run
out.

Okay...

It's a long standing problem, eventual fix will be to get rid
of MTRRs completely and only use PAT. But it needs a bit more work.

I've seen there is already a patch around to add initial PAT support. So i think it's only a question of time until it is included :-D If there is something i could help with please let me know.

Thanks to both of you for helping.

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)