Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U0

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 19:10:13 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
i just added something ad-hoc.

Yes, I understood as much. I'm suggesting it because a lot of
people who need such ad-hoc functionality could easily be
using relayfs.

I wanted it to be accurate across
interrupt entries. I have not looked at the relayfs locking but how does
it solve that?

cmpxchg (basically: try reserve; if fail retry; else write),
with per-cpu buffers.

Also, cli/sti makes it obviously SMP-safe and is pretty
cheap on all x86 CPUs. (Also, i didnt want to use preempt_disable/enable
because the tracer interacts with that code quite heavily.)

No preempt_disable/enable found in the lockless logging in relayfs.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits