Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Gerd Knorr
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 08:49:41 EST

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > Have you talked to the powermanagement guys btw.? One of the major
> > issues with suspend-to-ram is to get the graphics card back online,
> > and SNAPBoot might help to fix this too. I'm not sure a userspace
> > solution would work for *that* through.
>
> Why not? Of course you won't get any output before the graphics card has been
> re-initialized to a sane and usable state...

You have a application running which uses the framebuffer device, then
suspend with that app running. You'll have to restore the state of
the device _before_ restarting all the userspace proccesses, otherwise
the app will not be very happy. I'm not sure if the kernel can run a
userspace helper in that situation (i.e. before waking all the
processes).

Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;