Re: promise (105a:3319) unattended boot

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 15:15:02 EST

On Friday 15 Oct 2004 15:41, you wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Got here http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=105a3319
> As http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html#tx4 calls it
> soft/accelerator raid version
> Going to use latest kernel from /pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/
>
> But bios even with keyboard unplugged requires me to press one of 2 keys
> to either define array OR continue booting in case no array is defined.
>
> What would you recommend me to do?
> - stay with ft3xx module from promise and 10 level RAID array and not use
> sata_promise?
> - define some array in bios and completely ignore that fact and use
> sata_promise, bypass bios and define custom linux soft raid arrays?

If you define an array, AFAIK the controller doesn't do anything physically to
the discs. It's just the settings it tells the promise driver (thus software
RAID). If you define ANY array, the drives should still be detected by Linux
individually and you can use linux/md to RAID them.

This is how I'm doing it on my older PATA promise card.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk