[ANNOUNCE] udev 039 release

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 17:22:48 EST

I've released the 039 version of udev. It can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-039.tar.gz

udev allows users to have a dynamic /dev and provides the ability to
have persistent device names. It uses sysfs and /sbin/hotplug and runs
entirely in userspace. It requires a 2.6 kernel with CONFIG_HOTPLUG
enabled to run. Please see the udev FAQ for any questions about it:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

For any udev vs devfs questions anyone might have, please see:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs

And there is a general udev web page at:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

This release fixes a few major bugs:
- the config file and manpage are now properly generated
- wait_for_sysfs is updated for lots of new devices
- firmware downloading should now work properly, sorry about
that, udev shouldn't have stopped that from happening...
- scsi_id bug fix update.

Thanks to everyone who has send me patches for this release, a full list
of everyone, and their changes is below.

udev development is done in a BitKeeper repository located at:
bk://linuxusb.bkbits.net/udev

Daily snapshots of udev from the BitKeeper tree can be found at:
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/bitkeeper/udev/
If anyone ever wants a tarball of the current bk tree, just email me.

thanks,

greg k-h

Summary of changes from v038 to v039

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
o Hopefully fix the vcs issue in wait_for_sysfs
o take out & from wait_for_sysfs_test that I previously missed
o add very nice cdsymlinks scripts
o add some helper scripts for dvb and input devices
o add debian config files
o let the extras/ programs build "pretty" also
o tweak the ccdv program to handle files in subdirectories being built
o crap, I messed up the 'sed' instances pretty badly, this fixes the config and man page mess
o fix broken 'make -j5' functionality

Kay Sievers:
o swich attribute open() to simple stat()
o wait_for_sysfs update for /class/firmware and /class/net/irda devices
o fix unusual sysfs behavior for pcmcia_socket
o remove sleeps from udev as it is external now
o delete udevruler?
o Makefile fix

Patrick Mansfield:
o update udev to scsi_id 0.7
o pass SYSFS setting down for extras builds
o move assignments past local variables