Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 18:59:13 EST

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:51:09 -0700, Kendall Bennett
<kendallb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have not used initramfs at all (I am not sure I know what it is
> actually) so I don't know. I know there is quite a long period of time on
> most machines from when the kernel starts booting and when the real file
> system based init process takes over.

initramfs/initrd comes up very early in the boot process. For example
it holds your supplemental device drivers and initial /dev.
/dev/console is opened from this /dev so it much be up before the
console is. This is much earlier than normal user space starts.

I believe the current Fedora 3 uses udev from initramfs, but I haven't
tried it yet.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx