Re: Building on case-insensitive systems and systems where -shared doesn't work well (was: Re: 2.6.8 link failure for sparc32 (vmlinux.lds.s: No such file or directory)?)

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 14:27:53 EST

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 08:06:27PM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> Converting .S -> .s is useful for debugging - please don't cripple the
> kernel developers just because some filesystems are case-challenged.

Does the debug tools rely on files named *.s then?

There are today ~1400 files named *.S in the tree, but none named *.s.
So my idea was to do it like:
But if this breaks some debugging tools I would like to know.

Btw. this is not about "case-challenged" filesystems in general. This is
about making the kernel usefull out-of-the-box for the increasing
embedded market.
Less work-around patces needed the better. And these people are often
bound to Windoze boxes - for different reasons. And the individual
developer may not be able to change this.

Sam