Re: Hang on x86-64, 2.6.9-rc3-bk4

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 20:24:45 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Can we get a sysrq-M dump from that machine please?
>
> alas, for the 'hang' case, my during-initscripts console is going to
> strange place. here's sysrq-m from 2.6.9-rc3-bk4 with the mm/vmscan.c
> patch reverted (the its-fixed version).

Is cool - I was wondering if you had the same funny NUMA zone layout. You
do not.

So there's some new non-terminating condition in there. It's definitely
the case that we're still failing to throttle kswapd as we should be doing,
but I left it as-is due to lack of reported problems (hah) and because the
fix does cause less reclaim via kswapd and more reclaim via direct reclaim.

Still. The relevant patches, in order, are at
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc4/2.6.9-rc4-mm1/broken-out:

vmscan-total_scanned-fix.patch
revert-vm-no-wild-kswapd.patch
balance_pgdat-cleanup.patch
no-wild-kswapd-2.patch
no-wild-kswapd-kswapd-continue.patch

I expect the first one will fix this up. Can you confirm?