Re: Building on case-insensitive systems

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 00:52:27 EST

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 00:38, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:
> >>There are today ~1400 files named *.S in the tree, but none named *.s.
> >>So my idea was to do it like:
> >>*.S => *.asm => *.o
> >
> > The logic is sound, but... yuck!
>
> Yes, but worth it, I think. Maybe some configure magic could
> pick .asm as the suffix only when building on case-insensitive
> filesystems, if that's the only way to make this palatable
> to those devoted to the .s/.S idiom.

I'm more devoted to ".s" than I am to ".S", so if anybody
wants to rename 1400 files, go right ahead. >:-)

> >>Btw. this is not about "case-challenged" filesystems in general.
> >>This is about making the kernel usefull out-of-the-box for the
> >>increasing embedded market. Less work-around patces needed the
> >>better. And these people are oftenb ound to Windoze boxes - for
> >>different reasons. And the individual developer may not be able
> >>to change this.
> >
> > The difficulty in building on a case-insensitive filesystem may
> > be the only hope these developers have for escaping Windows.
> > You turn "we must have Linux build systems to build our product"
> > into the less effective "we want Linux".
> >
> > For the sake of these suffering developers, it would be better
> > to make sure that building Linux on Windows is a lost cause.
> > We could name a file "con" or "a:foo" for example.
>
> You are betting that you can force developers to switch away
> from Windows and MacOSX workstations.

Actually, I'm betting that "required to build product"
is a magic phrase that overrides corporate IT's desire
to brutally enforce a Microsoft-only environment.

If the developers themselves actually want Windows, well,
only a psychologist can help them.

For MacOS X, simply mount a UFS filesystem.