Re: Hang on x86-64, 2.6.9-rc3-bk4

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 09:01:48 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

Hi Jeff, my patch has gone to Linus... but if you have time can
you just verify that it works without the added cond_resched()
please?

Thanks.

Wouldn't akpm's patch be better?

Doesn't actually fix the problem. Well *sigh*, it does but it doesn't
if you know what I mean. It "fixed" the problem because your other
(non-empty) zones will now increase total_scanned, which means the busy
loop will turn into a sleepy loop and you don't notice a problem.

I would tend to prefer that a one-liner hang fix go into -final, as it's easier to review and verify at this late stage.

Apart from the above, akpm's patch does fix *a* bug, but actually changes
much more common case code a lot more than my patch, and has less obvious
consequences. It really wants a full cycle for performance regressions to
appear.

Well, I'll let you and Andrew and Linus fight over it, then.

_Someone_ just please get _something_ into 2.6.9-final, so that the kernel doesn't hang under heavy I/O (someone else ack'd the problem, and the fix, privately as well, under a totally different test case).

Jeff