Weird behaviour of usb printer (drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0:error -110 reading printer status)

From: Georg Schild
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 16:36:33 EST

Hi List!

I have some problems with my usb printer with the latest kernelversions. Don't know which kernelversion it started but after a while (one or more days) the printer connected via usb stops working and this message fills up /var/log/messages:

drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -110 reading printer status

I am using a gentoo-system on an AthlonXP machine. I have tried several kernelversions, some with included patchset from gentoo and some vanilla kernels. I don't know with which version the problem started, i think somewhere at 2.6.8 but this is not exact. To solve the problem i can only reboot the machine, switching the printer off and on again is not a solution. Other usb-devices still work. Printing system is cups. When the messages appear the systemload gets up to something over 50%.

Any suggestions on this problem?

Georg Schild