Re: NMI watchdog detected lockup

From: Marc Bevand
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 19:01:37 EST

On 2004-10-17, Randy.Dunlap <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| I'm seeing this often during a kernel build on AIC79xx.
| I did one kernel build on SATA without seeing this.
| This is on a dual-Opteron IBM Workstation A with
| 2 GB RAM, SATA, & SCSI.
| [...]
| NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU0, registers:
| [...]

You are not the first one to observe frequent watchdog timeout
lockup on dual Opteron systems during intense I/O operations,
see this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ide/1933

Note: this does *not* seem to be SATA-related.

--
Marc Bevand http://www.epita.fr/~bevand_m
Computer Science School EPITA - System, Network and Security Dept.