Re: Running user processes in kernel mode; Java and .NET support in kernel

From: Jon Masters
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 21:18:08 EST

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:53:28 +0300, Denis Vlasenko
<vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 16 October 2004 15:59, Simon Kissane wrote:

> > Also, I found a website by someone who had this idea before me (and
> > unlike me, actually implemented it!).
> > "Kernel Mode Linux" by Toshiyuki Maeda
> > http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tosh/kml/

> Nice page. Doubly nice considering that they have working code.

We looked at it briefly as part of a discussion in the office about
user mode device drivers, not really that seriously - one of those
lunchtime things. In the end it's far better to just mmap /dev/mem and
be done with it anyway. Other than that I can see little use for this.
Machines without an MMU running uclinux effectively run like this
anyway.

Jon.