Re: I/O card vs linux

From: Stephen Wille Padnos
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 23:32:34 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings;

This may be OT, but can anyone advise me on a pci card thats basicly an 8255 with a 34 pin or greater port on the card or back panel to bring out all 3 ports, and a suitable linux compatible driver for it?

3 possibilities: (there are more, including some with industrial protection, isolation, etc.)

www.computerboards.com : PCI-DIO24 and PCI-DIO24H, $89. These are basically a single 8255 connected to the bus through a PCI glue chip. They don't seem to provide a driver, but I would think the board would be set up automatically by the PCI code, and then there are just the standard 4 ports to read/write (you just have to find the base address theough the PCI subsystem).

www.ni.com : NI-PCI-6503, $145. This is a 24 I/O board, but has added logic (like a programmable power-on I/O state). There don't seem to be Linux drivers, but they may exist if you ask tech support. (NI is fairly Linux-friendly - they made a LabView/Linux version).

www.byterunner.com : PCI-1284-P2, $39.95. This is a dual IEEE1284 PCI parallel port card, with Linux drivers. It's not quite what you're looking for, but it will give you 24 I/O's (16 bidir, 10 dedicated, 2 interrupts).

Hope this helps
- Steve