Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Gerd Knorr
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 07:22:54 EST

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:39:29PM +0200, Martin Waitz wrote:
> hi :)
>
> > Whenever writing to the gfx memory before finishing the initialization
> > is harmless or not probably depends on the hardware, I'd better not
> > count on it ...
>
> when the application tries to access the framebuffer memory then
> the driver is asked to map the corresponding page.

On first access only, and even that only if the driver doesn't map the
pages at mmap() time already. Not a single fb driver seems to map the
pages lazy today, grepping in drivers/video for nopage handles shows
nothing. I'm not sure you can actually do that for iomem mappings.

Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;