Re: DMA memory allocation --how to more than 1 MB

From: Christian Leber
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 08:54:35 EST

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:18:13AM +0530, Srinivas G. wrote:
> I have a doubt about allocating the DMA memory using kmalloc OR
> __get_dma_pages OR pci_alloc_consistent. I was unable to allocate the
> memory greater than 1 MB using any one of the above memory functions.
>
> Is there any other method which will allocate the DMA memory greater
> than 1 MB?

You should be able to get at least order 9, therefore 2 MB.
With kernel 2.6 you should also be able to get order 10, therefore 4 MB.
If you need more you have to puzzle the areas together.

The way wli suggested is better.
But if this is no possible just make it a requierement to load the
module while booting, then there are enough free areas.

Christian Leber

--
"Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." (Aurelius Augustinus)