Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Paolo Ciarrocchi
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 17:18:49 EST

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:38:03 -0400, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:33:40PM +0200, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:06:49 -0400, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Although tangential to the problem, I thought LKML and BitMover (and
> > > maybe Andrew or Linus as well) might be interested in a general
> > > description of my workflow.
> > >
> > > For net drivers in the Linux kernel, there exists two patch queues,
> > > net-drivers-2.6 and netdev-2.6 (and corresponding 2.4 versions).
> > > net-drivers-2.6 could be described as the "upstream immediately" or "for
> > > Linus" queue, and netdev-2.6 could be described as the "testing" queue.
> >
> > So you have two bk trees,
> > - patches good for mainstream
> > - patches good for -mm tree
>
> Close:
> - patches ready for mainstream
> - patches eventually ready for mainstream
>
> and changes flow "up" from netdev-2.6 to net-drivers-2.6.

Yup, I hope that almost all the patches move from "patches eventually
ready for mainstream" to "patches ready for mainstream" ;-)

> > It would be cool if all the maintainers could adopt your working method,
> > Andrew is already automatically pulling from a bunch of trees, why not
> > having Linusdoing the same too?
>
> That's what Linus does already, when I email him :)

Good ;) but AFAIK Andrew is not publishing the "patches ready for
mainstream" (bk or collection of patches) tree.

> But Linus is essentially "senior editor", so we don't want to automate
> the system, otherwise there is no editorial control. He is our
> emporer penguin, after all.

I understand,
I know I'm pedantic but can we all see the list of bk trees ("patches
ready for mainstream" and "patches eventually ready for mainstream")
that we'll be used by Linus ?

I'm learning a lot trying to understand the development method used by
this community,
but there are things that I don't fully understand,
is it possible to "formalize" it (somehow) ?

Ciao and thanks!

--
Paolo
Personal home page: www.ciarrocchi.tk