Re: process start time set wrongly at boot for kernel 2.6.9

From: Tim Schmielau
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 20:09:02 EST

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, john stultz wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 11:21, Jerome Borsboom wrote:
> > Starting with kernel 2.6.9 the process start time is set wrongly for
> > processes that get started early in the boot process. Below is a dump from
> > my 'ps' command. Note the start time for processes 1-12. After process 12
> > the start time is set right.
>
> How reproducible is this? Are the correct and incorrect time values
> always off by the same amount?
>
> Are you running NTP? I'm curious if you are changing your system time
> during boot.

I'd bet that some process early in the boot adjusts your system time.
Then this is expected behavior. This is why I would have preferred the
simple back-out patch for the boot times problem.

I'm sorry I fell of the net for so long and didn't stand up for the
simpler change in this case. Oh well.

I'll probably supply a back-out patch for -mm then, after wading through
my multi-megabyte email backlog (sorry John, still need to read your time
keeping proposal and all its discussion).

Tim