Re: gradual timeofday overhaul

From: Len Brown
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 03:18:36 EST

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:05, Tim Schmielau wrote:
> I think we could do it in the following steps:
>
> 1. Sync up jiffies with the monotonic clock,...
> 2. Decouple jiffies from the actual interrupt counter...
> 3. Increase HZ all the way up to 1e9....

> Thoughts?

Yes, for long periods of idle, I'd like to see the periodic clock tick
disabled entirely. Clock ticks causes the hardware to exit power-saving
idle states.

The current design with HZ=1000 gives us 1ms = 1000usec between clock
ticks. But some platforms take nearly that long just to enter/exit low
power states; which means that on Linux the hardware pays a long idle
state exit latency (performance hit) but gets little or no power savings
from the time it resides in that idle state.

thanks,
-Len