Re: ATA/133 Problems with multiple cards

From: James Stevenson
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 05:58:56 EST

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> [Heavily stripped address lists]
>
> On Sunday 17 October 2004 04:51, James Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > then i can only turn the dma up to ATA/100 if i set it to ata/133
> > it will cause the errors. I assume this is something todo with the
> > promise bois not setting up the 3rd card at boot time. It only
> > shows drive listing for 2 of the 3 cards.
>
> As noted before, this effect was always related to different firmware
> versions on the cards here. Please check boot messages of all cards
> separately, and confirm, that this isn't your problem.

I had them all flashed to the latest current version which was 2.20.0.15
when i started having problems. Each card was verified to that version as
well. Some did have older firmware on them.

The same problems were seen before / after flashign the card. As far as i
could tell the promise bios will run form the first card and init the
other cards it could be configuring something there which nobody else is
aware of. However this only showed drives / drive interfaces form the
first 2 cards never the 3rd card. After the bios has init'ed the carss
the bios doesnt run on any other cards.

When booting the machine will 3 cards and no drives attached the bios is
loaded and unloaded 3 times. This is why i belave something is getting
enable / disabled on the other cards by the bios.

James